On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Kai Koehne <kai.koe...@nokia.com> wrote:

> The trouble I see with this approach on mobile phones is that it's
> effectively a replacement for the native package format, e.g. .sis files
> on Symbian. Qml doesn't have a general runtime (qmlviewer is meant only
> for development), so the package format would have also to include the
> binary + deal with capabilities etc. Now you want to publish your
> package on ovi store. How is signing done then? When it comes to
> separate libraries, who does the dependency management? Etc etc. This
> all becomes a non-issue if we stick with the packaging formats we have
> on the different platforms.

I never said it would have to be an executable (I do agree it should not be
sis/deb/rpm replacement) - neither are the .h and .py files generated with
rcc
and pyrcc respectively. In its simplest form, it's just an aggregator for
files
so you would not have to care about drives, directory layouts, allowed
filenames, case sensitivity filesystem fragmentation/overhead, etc, etc.
The original question was - do we really need complete crossplatform
toolchains just to be able to make/alter/use a bundled resource file ?

Best regards,
Attila