On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Kai Koehne <kai.koe...@nokia.com> wrote:

> On 11/25/2010 12:48 PM, ext Attila Csipa wrote:
> > [...]
>
>  I never said it would have to be an executable (I do agree it should not
>> be a
>> sis/deb/rpm replacement) - neither are the .h and .py files generated
>> with rcc
>> and pyrcc respectively. In its simplest form, it's just an aggregator
>> for files
>> so you would not have to care about drives, directory layouts, allowed
>> filenames, case sensitivity filesystem fragmentation/overhead, etc, etc.
>> The original question was - do we really need complete crossplatform
>> toolchains just to be able to make/alter/use a bundled resource file ?
>>

> Well, if you have latest QtCreator 2.1 snapshot you should give the
> skeleton code generated by the "Qt Quick Application" wizard a try. If you
> base your project on this, you can just click 'Run' ... and it will
> automatically build e.g. a .sis file with all your .qml/.js files +
> executable, deploy it to the device, install & run it. You need a working
> toolchain, but that's also easy to get with the Nokia Qt SDK. What's the use
> case of a new format then?

I do have the very latest QtCreator snapshots, but the thing is going
through
the whole toolchain and sis (and self-signing !) story to deploy a bouncy
rectangle just sounds like a massive overkill in the context of QML as the
simple, platform agnostic approach. It feels like saying 'you should
build/install
a browser if you want to view these HTML documents/WRT widgets'. I would
very much prefer to be able to send this imaginary qrz via bluetooth,
and/or MIME associate it with qmlviewer for quick deploy/testing (just QML
doesn't help  as you would need to copy/check every referenced file). To
repeat myself, I don't necessarily want an exe/sis/rpm/deb, I want
something I can quickly/painlessly check/deploy as I would, say, a Flash
SWF file (which I guess is the closest ideological equivalent).

But this would also be better on desktops, too. If your designer buddy
wants your opinion/help on an UI concept, he will have to go through
cleaning/zipping manually, and the same thing takes place on the
developer's machine. Yes, use svn or git, I know, but you get the idea :)

On a side note, sis-for-QML is a bit of a downer for me as I have to use the

remote compiler for it (Linux dev here), so it REALLY is a royal pain to go
through the deploy cycle (several minutes of waiting and clicking just to
see the effect of changing a plaintext file ?).

Best regards,
Attila