Great comments.  I have tried this several times and still have difficulties, but I do try to be patient.  I do appreciate it when a proprietor knows me and will have everything set up for me when I arrived.  Those business owners will continue to get my business.
Billy

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Why is that such a stupid question?  Most paraplegics and some quadriplegics can transfer themselves.  The beautician or the owner of the business might know this and wanted to find out to see if he/she needed to make any adjustments to his/her station.  The first time I went to the dentist he thought I would be able to get into his room because his other patients with wheelchairs had no problem.  I was not able to get in without him moving the dentist chair because my wheelchair has a longer wheelbase than standard because of my size.  Now, when I arrive for my appointment the dentist chair is moved out of the way and I back right in with no problems.

I have a sign in the back of my van that says "Handicap driver, please be patient" because of all the drivers that are in a rush all the time.  Believe it or not this sign works very well.  I have not been Honked at since I put this sign in my window three years ago.  Before I put this sign in the window I was honked that at least once per day.  We as quadriplegics and paraplegics also have to be "patient" with able-bodied people because they have no idea what our life is like and what we go through.  When I make a reservation at a restaurant I tell them that I'm in a power wheelchair and should be put somewhere where I'm out of their way because I cannot fit underneath a table.  If they put me in an aisle way and I'm in their way that is their problem because I will not keep moving out of the way for them.  Every restaurant that I have gone to has told me that they appreciate the heads up so they can make adjustments if need! ed.  I have never felt rushed or uncomfortable in any restaurant that I have gone to.

Jim