From: John S.
Date: 3/11/2008 12:48:17 PM
To: quad-list@eskimo.com
Cc: quad-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] post to quad list

I grew up in a neighborhood of dog lovers and several cops that trained dogs
for police work. I don't remember food being used often. The dogs were
encouraged to play with a single toy called a "kong". Whenever the dog
performed right hed get a short 30seconds of playing with his kong. After a
20 minute training session it was time for yard play and morning or evening
meals then a 45 minute walk. Daily repetition and adding to each dogs skills
and responsibilities made very intuitive dogs.

The reason you don't use food often when training is that many dogs
associate food with being good instead of doing it for love from his master.
I'm not saying you can't do it how your doing it since I can't keep a dog
here and I just play with dogs that want to at the park. (they will eat
stale bread from a stranger if you train them food is love.)

Dogs learn from each other so if you have a dog that barks to go potty you
can place the two together and after a day or two both will bark to go out
and come in. Socializing a dog in training can increase learning a lot. yes,
they can learn bad habits so watch close. Never show affection to a dog in a
hyper state. Because your in a wheelchair many trainers would use electronic
collars on larger dogs. These should be turned down after awhile and gone in
a year. If the dog still needs it you need a different dog. ALL DOGS BITE!
Anyone that says their dog doesn't bite only means it probably won't.

The walks are important. Do not let the dog pull the leash. Always think
calmly and never yell when a dog is close, dogs understand your moods not
your speeches.

Good luck with your dog,
John