Like Steve and Joan have said, I also have the similar type pain Dan mentioned
he's dealing with.  Mine is also with the severe ice burning pain in my abdomen
and back and the hot burning pain in my butt and legs with the needles and
feeling like they are asleep.  I have been dealing with it for about 15 1/2
years.  My pain started about 3 months after my injury and has only increased.
I also have a syrinx and have had the shunt surgery to see if it would decrease
the pain, but it did nothing.  Like Steve mentioned, I have tried pretty much
everything out there to reduce the pain and even got a baclofen pump to add
anesthesia type medication to relieve the nerve pain, but nothing has helped.
I also tried about 5-6 months ago a new pain medication in my pump, called
prialt, which is an ocean poisonous snail venom turned into chronic pain
medication.  I couldn't get past the severe side effects for me of
constipation.  It wasn't a typical side effect, but nonetheless, I could not
deal with the constipation and added pain to get to the "therapeutic dosage" to
continue.  So like Steve and Joan mentioned, I have just used staying busy with
distraction to cope with my pain.  I've spent nearly 16 years going to school,
getting my BA and Masters degree, then working as a Marriage & Family Therapist
Intern and recently becoming licensed, and also adopting two children over the
past two years... so focusing on my goals and dreams has really helped me cope
with my pain the best.  It also has helped having a supportive family, having
my dream of having children come true, and getting into a career I love.  I do
take an antidepressant medication (doxepin) and Klonopin at night to help me
sleep and cope with the pain, but nothing gets rid of the pain.  I hope they
continue on the path of trying to find a cure for neuropathic pain as well as
for spinal cord injuries.

Corie, C 4-5, incomplete