John you are so right. The same thing happened to me, twice. The first time I had a uti and the er doc had me take Keflex which I'm allergic to. After I told him that he said ok we'll give you something stronger by iv - that something was Keflex! I asked what was going on. He said most people are only allergic to a drug orally. "You'll be fine". I could feel my body swelling and no urine in my bag. I told him this and he says - that's because you have a uti!?! After the iv was empty, I said ok I'm leaving.

The second time the er doc said I had a uti that had gone septic. They admitted me and started iv antibiotics. Doc said I would be in the hospital 4 or 5 days. I felt fine so I said I'll give you 2 days. After the second day he said I was doing much better but I should stay a couple of more days. I said no thank you so against RTAMA, I went home. My rule of thumb is, if I start to feel worse the longer I stay in a hospital, that means I'll do better at home.

The last time I was in the hospital I didn't follow my rule of thumb. I went in for an adjustment of my vent. I was released 5 days later weak as a kitten. I hardly ate the whole time and lost half my body weight. On the day I was to be released the intern came in and said I would have to stay longer because they found something strange in my blood - like I had ingested antifreeze. What the Hell was she talking about?! Then when rounds came along she told the resident that they found Ketones in my blood - Ketones for Gods sake. Was she an idiot? I hadn't eaten for 5 days and she couldn't figure that one out?!? I looked at the resident and he explained to her why I had Ketones in my blood/urine. I left that day. But I learned a valuable lesson - never trust the docs - always question why and then make up your own mind.

Dan

At 06:49 PM 9/1/2009, John S. said something that elicited my response:

In the 80's I had an indwelling catheter and took antibiotics daily to prevent infections. I was taking macrodantin. After about 7 months I was having trouble breathing and i was not producing any urine. Ambulance took me to the hospital were they increased the macrodantin by IV and began treating me for heart failure. I asked to see the PDR and a nurse complied. the side effects were identical to what was happening to me. I had them remove the IV medicine packs and refused any more antibiotics. Within 6 hours I was urinating big time. 2 liters in 4 hours. Within a day my heart had returned to normal and my breathing was incredibly easier. You can become septic from antibiotics that are taken over long periods of time. It is important to understand how each works and drugs that can turn to poison when your system no longer removes them. I ditched that urologist and went to a different one who got me into bladder training. It may never happen to others, but I wanted to relate the importance of being able to recognize antibiotic poisoning and toxic reactions. I'm allergic to any drug in the macrodantin and keflex families. My point is obvious I guess. just always get the pharmacy PDR info on any drug and e careful. I was within hours of dying when I started to refuse treatment against medical advice (RTAMA) from a doctor that was furious with me and insisting that I needed an even larger dose of what was killing me. The next day a resident came in my room and told me my stubbornness kept me from the morgue. I honestly feel that many of us using CMS medical treatment are not getting the treatment given to those with beefy insurance policies. I hope this changes but I will always read the fine print as should we all. If I had died it would have been listed as heart attack due to Renal failure. I always wonder how many of us die from the treatment we get from people we trusted to "do no harm". Ultimately, it is up to each of us to read and ask questions about our health care and use our judgment. Doctors aren't gods and mistakes happen all to often. I hope what you take works for you as long as you need it. I don't mean to scare or frieghten you or any one else. I just want to relate an experience I had because I did everything my doctor said without question.
KNOW YOUR ENEMA!

BEST TO ALL,
john

From: Merrill <merril...@cox.net>
To: quad-list@eskimo.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2009 5:33:23 PM
Subject: FW: [QUAD-L] SWEATING ONLY OR MAINLY IN CHAIR

Greg,

What is the antibiotic?

Merrill

----------
From: Greg [mailto:g...@eskimo.com]
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 12:20 PM
To: 'donald scott'; quad-list@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: [QUAD-L] SWEATING ONLY OR MAINLY IN CHAIR

I too take a daily antibiotic. I know most people say not to do it, but I was getting UTI’s every other week. Plus the symptoms really were hard on me. I would sweat and get fevers before the UTI was bas enough to show up on tests. The Uro wanted to do a bladder augmentation, but thought we should try this first as a last resort. Since starting the daily half dose, I have had 2 UTI’s in 4 years.

Greg

Hi group,

I read some of the posts regarding the sweating problem. I too have had this problem and ran a bunch of test. The doctors where pretty stumped. I think that I have finally figured out that it's a UTI problem. When we sit up it puts more pressure on the bladder which irritates the bladder when it's already upset from the UTI. It causes pain and then we sweat. I take a daily antibiotic for urine and have no more sweating. I may be wrong but it has helped me.

Good luck and great health,

Donald C5