I agree with the below post. Stay out of a nursing home unless it is a total
last resort. I am doing all I can to try to get my friend home after over 2
years in hospitals for severe pressure sores, where half of his "behind" was
actually gone due to the severity of his wounds. This was done to him at a
community based hospital in NJ, and not at a nursing home. But nursing homes do
not usually have the staff to turn, adjust, etc. Not to mention the problems of
staph infections.

There are Medicaid Waiver programs and grants. I just contacted the National
Spinal Cord Injury Association. They told me there is a national organization
where you can raise funds and use their nonprofit status. This will then allow
you to keep your benefits and still have a better quality of life. There are
some group homes too. It take time to get the right working arrangement to live
at home with an aid available, but I have friends who do it all the time,
including my friend who was a C4/5- and had lots of problems keeping PCA's but
he managed, as well as managed keeping a kitten. He made connections with
friends in his apartment who checked up on him, and gave someone else his key
as an emergency. He kept Emergency button, and was very well hooked in online.

Check out Medicaid waiver programs if you get Medicaid- and see if you qualify
for more private duty nursing or care....Sometimes the local vocational rehab
centers have options as well, and independent working situations for extra
funds.  I am a lower quad incomplete and find it is not easy, counting pennies,
and have gotten stuck...