My Friend,what can i say,all the luck to you
God bless you
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 09:22:17 -0700
From: aa999...@yahoo.com
To: quad-list@eskimo.com
Subject: [QUAD-L] troubles

I don't know really where to begin with all the recent topics being talked
about but here is a wild story for you! Starting this past January I started
planning a trip to visit my family in Tucson Arizona from north-central
Indiana. After finding no volunteers to do my personal care and thought I could
hire an agency that backfired after one of them informed me that I would need a
Arizona physician regarding any care given by the agency. Only learning about
that about one month before the trip messed up everything and almost went into
panic mode until somebody sent me a link from craigslist. Well they listed 17
potential individuals as caregivers and between e-mailing and phone calls only
ended up with one person as a candidate. Then after trying to get my
brother-in-law to meet with him to
 make sure he's real, that turned into a nightmare of him not wanting to take
me on as a client. Now two weeks before the trip almost beyond desperation my
sister-in-law save the day by sending me another caregiver website with A lot
more credible individuals which responded to e-mailing and phone calls almost
the same day! The link is
<http://www.care.com/>
After a quick phone interview and taken a leap of faith I found somebody which
worked out great and was a very reasonable financially. Now speaking of
craigslist after posting the need of an individual for a caregiver it only
stayed up less than 48 hours before somebody flagged it and no notification
from craigslist on why which is absolutely stupid even after trying a hold of
them! In that short amount of time another individual responded to my ad
because the original girl had a family emergency come up in the middle of my
 one-week stay called the second girl which quickly stepped in to take her
place during the morning but this third individual also responding to my ad
promised to do the remaining evenings only to show up one time and then not
respond to phone calls or text messages for some reason. So between Facebook
and craigslist I was able to get care almost everyday despite my family not
willing to do my intimate personal care but they did help out with transfer
into bed which was a simple deadlift. I was trawling with my roommate which
lives with me and she knows all my care except for the most intimate portion of
it. But she was trained how to change the catheter just in case of emergency
and hope she had fun of getting out of Indiana for a week. Now getting to
Chicago which is two hours west of me taking a shuttle bus which turned out to
be a great option in the past, until they updated with a modern bus which is
absolutely inadequate for a power chair both on
 the lift and the given room strapped down the chair after removing the leg
rest the whole trip! Now dealing with American Airlines everything was
prearranged just like my other five trips and after boarding everybody we were
informed that we needed to change planes because of mechanical difficulties. So
after the hassle of transferring me all over again in and out of the aisle
chair and a manual chair thought we were ready to go but not so quick to think
that? Another hour waiting for mechanical issue again and almost needing to
change planes again, we finally got off the ground about 2 1/2 hours then our
schedule flight take off. Upon getting me off and discovering that my chair had
no power and thought they disconnected the main power like before which was not
true for this trip. Because I have a Invacare Ranger X. with gearless brushless
motors and the transportation package they were unable to even find my main
battery connection. So the marathon of
 phone calls began which required one local wheelchair technician to come to
the airport at least to get the power establish one more time but then the
reset switch would not work! I have one of my head rest which is a motion
sensor that has worked out great until this moment. More phone calls and then
having to be transported across town and after hours to another repair shop.
Another hour or so was able to put in place a temporary switch until I got
home. Originally was supposed to be there by noon ready to visit family but
instead did not happen until after eight o'clock that night. Surviving the week
with a couple days of 110° was ready to reverse the process to return to
Indiana. Because American Airlines uses super 80 aircraft the power chairs have
to go in the bottom of the aircraft on their side which side they failed to ask
me toward the sensitivity of my electronics the first time around! Using large
size Saran wrap and ensuring they lay the
 chair down on the other side away from the electronics. Only they have them
destroy another switch on my control tube which was custom made by my friend
for my air horns! The airline manager got everything pay for that day and after
my local repair shop figures out what they destroyed the airline is also paying
for that. So two broken switches later I thought they were picking on my chair
today and my local repair shop did not think they only had one day to repair or
diagnose what was wrong with my chair. I was already scheduled for tire
replacement which the rear tires I go through in less than six months. Any
repair shop taking more than a few days is absolutely ridiculous and not
understanding the need for our equipment. Besides the chair problems I came
home to computer problems and crashed Windows Vista ultimate and now running
Windows 7 ultimate with Dragon 10.0 64-bit edition. Which is working out pretty
good for the moment except for some screen
 resolution issues and sorry about the length of this post but just thought
very informative to other individuals in our situation.
Monty of Indiana c3/c4 nearly 17 years post injury