Hey Quadius -- Sorry to hear about your mom.  I hope you're still doing well
as more time passes.

Thanks for the Kindle info.  I think it was the e-Ink screen you were trying
to think of that wasn't backlit.  I ended up deciding on the Nook (the
original, not Nook Color).  I just couldn't hit the buttons on the Kindle
with my fingers like I do other keyboards because they are so
smoothly rounded and only slightly raised.  My finger slid off just as I got
enough pressure to activate it.

The Nook has a small touch screen below the reading area with a touch
keyboard for book searching and buying and for web surfing (if needed).  It
was available with Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi + 3G.  Wi-Fi was enough for me.  The Nook
Color is a full screen touch sensitive model but didn't have many other
benefits I could see.

I use the Wi-Fi quite a bit because I typically make purchases using the
computer and they simply migrate directly to the Nook without me doing
anything.  Plus, I can read on my computer screen and rearrange the
"shelves" (classics, Stephen King, Tech Stuff, etc.) on the computer and/or
Nook and whichever I use next is set up exactly like the other... and I'm
still up to date in both places on which page I left off reading.  Basically
saying the two sycronize quite seamlessly without me doing anything to make
it happen.

The Nooks both have user-replaceable batteries whereas the Kindles need an
authorized dealer to do it.  And you can easily add memory to the Nooks by
adding a microSD card in the back.

Mostly, though, it was the touch screen versus buttons that sold me on it.
*I love it!!!*  I carry it on my lap everywhere I go and it's always "open"
to the correct page at the press of the ON switch!

Best regards!
--Tod