  From: Greg
  To: quad-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:21 AM
  Subject: [QUAD-L] icy ramps

  Hi all,

  I have a rather long, wood-decking ramp leading into the house that freezes
over quickly whenever there is moisture in the air and the temperature drops to
freezing, sort of like the bridges freezing over first on the roads.  You don't
even notice the ice until you step on it so it is particularly dangerous to
visitors.  This ramp also serves as the main entrance into our home so everyone
who visits uses the ramp.  There are handrails on both sides for the length of
the ramp, but it is still treacherous when iced over.

  Do any of you know of something I can do to the ramp to make it less
hazardous?  Salt doesn't help much, and when we do use it I fear my mother will
slip and fall (again) while applying it.  I'm thinking maybe adding some type
of raised strip (low profile) every foot or so, but what material should I use?
 Will this even help?

  Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

  Thanks in advance.

  Greg  c5