I've mentioned this before and it bears repeating.  We had a mulberry  tree
in our back yard.  It was struck by lightening of a nasty winter  storm.
The end results was that it laid on the ground, cut in half and  propped up
by its long branches.  It looked like a tree fence as it laid on  our grassy
yard. Spring came the next year and the tree produced leaves and huge  crop
of sweet mulberries that were enjoyed by all.  All summer long I would  cut
the grass, going around the tree as it laid, still green.  Fall and  Winter
came and the tree stayed, waiting for Spring again.  Keep in mind  that the
trunk of the tree was split in half, exposing the inside of the tree  and
yet in spite of all the damage it continued to live, and produce edible
fruit.  The next spring, it blossomed again and produced another huge crop  of
mulberries, even thou the damage to the trunk worsened.  It continued to
produce another and another crop of mulberries and probably would have
continued
 to produce mulberries until our neighbor received a gas chainsaw and
decided to  practice on our tree, thinking that he was doing us a favor.
I feel the same could be said about someone being spinal cord injured and
deciding on their fate of being productive, once again.  Just as our
mulberry tree was hanging on by a mere thread and continued to produce, so can
those with major, complete injuries. Ed Roberts, Judith Hulman, and Justin
Dart  to name a few.
Hospitals normally keep patient information private, so I'm always concern
when reading stories like this as being totally factual.
Best Wishes

In a message dated 11/16/2013 1:00:55 P.M. Central Standard Time,