http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/dqualify10.htm#age22

Adults Disabled Before Age 22

An adult disabled before age 22 may be eligible for child's benefits if a
parent is deceased or starts receiving retirement or disability benefits.
We consider this a "child's" benefit because it is paid on a parent's
Social Security earnings record.

The "adult child"—including an adopted child, or, in some cases, a
stepchild, grandchild, or step grandchild—must be unmarried, age 18 or
older, and have a disability that started before age 22.