You hit the nail on the head Dave! Things out there are just getting worse
and worse. I can't even find a doctor after moving to Arizona and because
the one doctor got tired of trying to find a home health agency to take me
on and the home health agencies [Medicare certified ones which I am forced
to go to because that is my only insurance] he sent me a letter saying that
he thought I needed a doctor that would provide more care for me and
telling me that I had to find a new doctor within 30 days! I have never
ever in my entire life had a doctor drop me. However, he was the most
egotistical, arrogant physician (PCP or otherwise) I have ever had.

The only reason I have had to go to my primary care physicians have been to
get my medications and to write out orders for home health agencies to
provide skilled nursing care to change my catheter once a month and to
bring the of the supplies.

The next problem I have come across is, since moving back to Tucson
Arizona, is not only finding a physician who is accepting new patients but
a primary care physician who will accept the patient who is on a pain med
of any sort... which I am.

I very much wanted to go back to the same doctor I had before I left Tucson
and that same doctor would take me back IF I WAS NOT on a pain med. This
was not the case 3 years ago. Now almost all Tucson's physicians are not
taking on patients who were on pain medications... and they are including
Valium/diazepam as well. Jesus... I have been on diazepam since 1979/1984
spasms. After acquiring syringomyelia I began to develop pain and have been
on a pain med [low dose] since 1998. But trying to find another doctor has
been a nightmare!

So... get this...I finally found one and when I went in there I was first
seen by her Medical Assistant to put all my information down in their
computer which is common. The problem was... he was from another country
and could not understand me or my caregiver. So it took him an entire hour
to write down 5 medications and what my surgeries were and just a couple
other things.

My appointment was at 2:45 PM but I had to arrive at 2:15 PM to fill out
the initial paperwork... which is always done with a new doctor.

When the doctor came in she got straight to the point and faced the
computer 99% of the time statistically speaking. Then comes the completely
unexpected bombshells:

My husband or my sister or my caregiver have always been the ones to pick
up my pain med script every month at the doctor's office because it is a
controlled substance and that was fine over all these years. Simply because
it is easier for them to hop in their car and drive over to get it rather
than me going out, getting in the van, and getting into the doctor's office
just to get a piece of paper every month. THIS doctor requires that THE
PATIENT come in every single month to get that piece of paper. IN ADDITION
TO THAT... THIS doctor requires random drug tests via urine specimen.
Again, never ever have I had to have this done in my life or since been on
pain meds since 1980.

I feel it is a form of discrimination. The reason behind all this is
because, most likely anyway, is because the illegal aliens are jumping the
wall and Mexico so frequently with illegal substances and either abusing
them or selling them. But the doctors should look at the patient's
situation and it be obvious that I am not one of those people.

I did not go through this in the Northeast and I did not go through this
when I lived here in Tucson 3 years ago. So, again, all these doctors have
changed their policies as far as accepting patients or going to this
extreme if you are on a payment of any sort.

It did not occur to me at the time I was in the office since I was in there
for so long and after leaving here at 1:45 PM to get there at 2:15 PM
[because she is 45 minutes away] to ask her what if I were bedridden [like
I was between 2009 and 2012 and bedridden 24/7 for almost the entire summer
of 2010 when my Stage III wound was so bad that it would be detrimental for
me to get out of bed.

Now I have to make a trip every 28 days that will take 2 hours of my day
just to pick up a piece of paper. I tried so very hard to find a closer
doctor and it did but that was the one who dropped me.

This e-mail does not even include what Dave brought up as far as people not
getting back to you no matter how minor or how important the issue is. For
example, I had some bladder pain a couple weeks ago and asked my urologist
to have my home health agency nurse to collect a urine specimen to send out
for culture and sensitivity. This was a week and a half ago and I have
still not gotten the results! I have found this to be more and more common
with getting the results of culture and sensitivity results from any
doctor. And it is ridiculous because if I was in pain this entire time or
had a fever am still waiting for the results... I could be dead by now.

Thankfully the pain went away but my urologist [whom I have had since 2006]
should have gotten back to me by now. I finally called this morning and
left a message with her triage nurse (the best person to reach the
quickest) but that was over five hours ago and I think they close early on
Fridays. Either way... ridiculous.

Since my husband needs to be a chief medical technologist and did urine and
blood cultures (and more) as a living in now said it does not take longer
than 2.5 days to get a culture and sensitivity report no matter what
doctors were laboratories are telling you today. They usually say it is 3
days and I have been okay with that over all these years but over the last
several years I have always been the one to have to call the doctor to get
the results rather than the other way around. Actually, even the home
health agencies have gotten the results earlier than the doctors and that
is either because the doctors are not paying attention to what is coming in
or what.

I was with a fabulous home health agency before leaving PA and now I can
barely get any help from the home health agencies down here. Again,
Medicare certified agencies are being discriminatory against quads for a
myriad of reasons and I am just so worn out after going through 3 months of
sheer hell trying to keep on top of everything when the medical field
should be helping you and taking care of you rather than the patient having
to call about every... single... thing.

I have been treated like a third class citizen or something no matter where
I go. I have never ever been treated this way by any doctor or any home
health agency who are in the business of helping patients and not hurting
them. I have also been hurt by so many medical professionals that it isn't
even funny.

Well, I've had it for the day.

~Lori

--
"Petting, scratching and cuddling a dog could be soothing to the mind and
heart and deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer." ~Dean