"Kyle Kinsey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Win98 is very similar to the Win95, but it isn't "just bug-fixed
> >version" - there are some serious differencies in the kernel. For
> >example, Win98 does have native (built-in) support for USB peripheral,
> >and Win98SE - support for FireWire peripheral, unlike Win95.
>
> Kind of depends how you look at it, the last version of windows 95 (released in 1997)
> included ie 4 intergration (wheather you liked it or not) and usb support!

Excuse me, but it isn't really correct. The "support" essentially means,
that after installing so-called 'USB patch' (it must be installed
manually, BTW), in the Device Manager you'll see gray square labelled
'USB hub' instead of yellow question mark labelled 'Unknown PCI device'.
But you'll be unable to use almost any real USB peripheral - scanners,
storage devices, printers, and even joysticks.

> and usb
> support really isn't a kernel thing, just a driver thing, after all it's just
>another device.

Not quite so. Microsoft itself has said:
===
Windows 95 OSR 2.1 and OSR 2.5 provide basic USB support that was
developed as the technology was first emerging. Based on today's more
mature USB technology, there are a number of limitations with USB
support in Windows 95 OSR 2.1 and Windows 95 OSR 2.5.

These limitations were addressed in Microsoft Windows 98 and carried
forward to Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition. Addressing these
limitations required several architectural changes that are not portable
back to Windows 95 OSR 2.1 or Windows 95 OSR 2.5.
===

> Probably best to look at it with the build numbers around rc2 (after which ms played
>arounf with them
> inflating them to something that looked good, 95 950, 95SE (both osr1 & osr2 &
>osr2.5 ) 1111, 98 1998,
> 98se  2222, can't remeber me's probably 3000 at a guess ;-) )
> which was about 1350 if i remeber correctly, versus build 1111 for the last release.

There were no "Win95SE"! :-) Retail 4.00.950, Retail SP1 4.00.950A, OSR1
4.00.950A, OSR2 4.00.1111 (4.00.950B), OSR2.1 4.03.1212-1214
(4.00.950B), OSR2.5 4.03.1214 (4.00.950C).

Mentioned "USB support" was included in OSR2.1 and OSR2.5, but as I've
said, it doesn't work with almost anything, except for few mice,
keyboards and two or three Kodak digital cameras, that have specifically
written Win95 drivers included.

> Anyway must stop now, I'm bableing windows nonsense on a mac list, bad me!!!! ;-)

But look at the Subject: line - we're just speaking about 'what software
might work on particular Macintosh hardware'! :-)

WBR,
Artur