on 7/28/04 2:30 PM, Quadlist at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I recently recieved a bunch of older machines; among them are: Powermac
> 5260AV, Centris 660 AV, and LC630
>
> I don't want to keep them all, but would like one.  which is the best,in
> your humble opinion ?  can I exchange hardrives and cd rom players and
> memory modules to "soup up"  one from parts of the others?
>
> I'm aware that apple began IDE tech about this time as well but don't know
> if that is a concern in this case. Please, advise.    thanks so much.  it's
> great to have this resource available.

Leon:

Well, let's see.

The 5260 is a PowerMac, which means it will run a higher OS than the other
two. However, out of all the Macs, the 5200 series is one of the worst.
There are lots of issues, which you can read about at lowendmac.com's
profile of the 5260 (note the "Road Apple" designation:
http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/5260.shtml

The 660AV is a nice machine. The cpu is only 25 MHz, so that's a bit
limited. Still, the AV can capture video.

My favorite of the 3 is the LC 630, but I'm biased because that was the
first new Mac I ever bought. It has a faster 040 CPU, and can utilize 64MB
sticks of RAM. Depending on the model, you might be lucky enough to have 2
RAM slots (most have one). You can also get the DOS card and run Windows 95
and Mac OS 8.1 at the same time - just hit 2 keys to switch between the two.

If you want to be creative, you can slide the LC630 motherboard into the
5260 and have a nice all-in-one computer. The 5260 and LC 630 use ATA hard
drives, the 660 uses SCSI. They all use the same basic 72-pin RAM type. Yes,
you can also swap CD-ROM drives, etc.

Hope I've been some help!
Keith