GDB-B&W-X.3.7 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

    Can anyone tell me if and why this machine is
    supposed to be better than a beige G3 with a Wings
    AV card for audio work?

I dunno nothing about that, but John Wang's AV FAQ <http://
www.sims.berkeley.edu/%7Ejwang/cgi/av-faq/> alleges that the AV Quadras
are perhaps better at digitising audio than the 1st generation PowerMacs,
such as the 6100:

    The 660av and 840av [...] provide 16-bit stereo
    sound input and output, with sampling rates of
    22.050, 24.000, 44.100, and 48.000 kHz. Found in AV
    and non-AV Power Macs alike, the Audio Waveform
    Amplifier and Converter (AWAC) chip performs nearly
    the same 16-bit I/O functionality, but with the
    22.050 and 44.100 kHz sample rates only.

Wang also says that his FAQ does not attempt to include G3 PowerMacs in
its purview:

    This FAQ does not directly cover Power Macintosh G3s
    with the AV Personality card...

That's all the direct answer to your question that I can provide. In the
FAQ you can read Ben Denckla's more detailed analysis of the audio
capabilities of these machines.

And then:

    I'm in the process of digitizing all of my old
    record albums and I want the best setup I can have
    for ease of use and quality.

When you're through with that, can you come over to my house and convert
*my* albums? ;-)
--
Michael