On Jan 4, 2005, at 8:41 PM, Michael Emery wrote:

GDB-B&W-X.3.7 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

    Can anyone tell me if and why this machine is
    supposed to be better than a beige G3 with a Wings
    AV card for audio work?

I dunno nothing about that, but John Wang's AV FAQ <http://
www.sims.berkeley.edu/%7Ejwang/cgi/av-faq/> alleges that the AV Quadras
are perhaps better at digitising audio than the 1st generation PowerMacs,
such as the 6100:

    The 660av and 840av [...] provide 16-bit stereo
    sound input and output, with sampling rates of
    22.050, 24.000, 44.100, and 48.000 kHz. Found in AV
    and non-AV Power Macs alike, the Audio Waveform
    Amplifier and Converter (AWAC) chip performs nearly
    the same 16-bit I/O functionality, but with the
    22.050 and 44.100 kHz sample rates only.

Wang also says that his FAQ does not attempt to include G3 PowerMacs in
its purview:

    This FAQ does not directly cover Power Macintosh G3s
    with the AV Personality card...

That's all the direct answer to your question that I can provide. In the
FAQ you can read Ben Denckla's more detailed analysis of the audio
capabilities of these machines.

And then:

    I'm in the process of digitizing all of my old
    record albums and I want the best setup I can have
    for ease of use and quality.

When you're through with that, can you come over to my house and convert
*my* albums? ;-)
--
Michael

Thanks for the info Michael, I'm getting the quality I want from the PC setup, it's just that I thought maybe there was some Mac software which would perform this function as well or better. I have well over half of my albums done now, some digitized via my trusty old Fisher turntable and PC and some I've been able to grab from the Newsgroups which cater to people like me by posting entire albums for download. I use MT Newswatcher on my B&W G3 to peruse the alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.1950s - 2000s groups. I picked up 3-4 albums just this evening by checking just the 1960s and 1970s groups. Using broadband it doesn't take very long to download an album, even at the higher bitrates. This is much, much easier than doing each one by hand. Plus there have been some of my older stuff that was in too bad of shape to get a good copy.

I have friends here in the area where I live that have made the same request for assistance in converting their collections, but I doubt I will ever try to tackle a job like this again, if I ever get my own finished!

Just a message from Doug...