The reason I mentioned an external CD drive is often the stock CD drive that
came with the LC575 was not fast enough to boot the computer. Also, you
would do much better to start it up with a system 8, 8.6, or 9 (not 9.1 or
higher) CD than system 7. Even if you eventually reinstall system 7, I have
found the other OS CDs to be much better on emergency startup and repair.

If you do get it going with a CD, you probably should reformat the HD (Drive
Setup program on the CD), and then reinstall the system. You can run the
System 7 CD in the built in CD Player, while an external CD Player is your
startup drive. I have then found it helps to restart with the CD again after
installing the new system, holding down the option and command keys to
rebuild the desktop folder before actually starting the computer with your
new system.

Again, you may indeed have a bad hard drive, but if it is something else,
replacing the HD may not solve your problem.

Chuck