At 10:34 PM +1000 12/23/05, Michael wrote:
Thanks for the tips Bill,
Unfortunately whenever I try to boot from the 'Install Me First Cd' or
the floppies that came with the mac, the message 'Welcome to
Macintosh' comes up on the screen and then it freezes. I'm not sure if
this is correct but i have been told that if it can not find a hard
drive then it wont be able to boot from cd or floppy.
Thanks agin,
Michael

It will boot without an HD. But I have run into a few cases where it wouldn't boot with a corrupted HD.

So try disconnecting the HD and then booting from FD or CD. If it does boot then you can try (if possible) this:

Leave the data cable connected to the HD but leave the power cable off.
Boot from FD or CD.
Connect the power cable to the HD.
Launch Drive Setup.

Then Either

Try mounting the drive.
See if the drive is accessible.
Update the driver on the disk (sometimes the problem is a corrupt driver).

or

Format the drive.
--
Clark Martin