On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 08:36:04AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 07:37:12AM -0400, Lou Berger wrote:
> > ahh - not necessarily -- particularly if it fixes a major interop issue
> > (which is the point of standards after all).
>
> Well if you could fix the interop by changing a setting away from its
> current default, at least you have a workaround.  And I would think the
> other value for the setting exists for a reason too.
>
> > So are you arguing this point theoretically, or do you believe there's a
> > real issue with *this* change.  Said another way, do you really think
> > there are operators using an max link cost in normal/stable day to day
> > operations (and not just as a maintenance tool)?
>
> I don't recall what this change is, so no idea.  I am just saying in
> general changing defaults in a program that doesn't keep default values
> in the config file is hazardous.
>
> link-detect is still not on by default (and while I certainly always
> want it on, I would not suggest changing the existing default behaviour.)

The link-detect comparison keeps coming up, yet there's a major
difference:  When I argued for the "slow" link-detect migration, I was
personally aware of 2 installations that would've been broken by the
change, one of them /my own network/.

Paul (or anyone else), is there an actual user installation you're aware
of that would be broken by this change?  If yes, could you please
describe it?

(If no, a realistic application scenario maybe?)

-David