On 6/8/2016 4:39 PM, Martin Winter wrote:
On 8 Jun 2016, at 8:10, Jafar Al-Gharaibeh wrote:
On 6/8/2016 9:13 AM, Paul Jakma wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jun 2016, Martin Winter wrote:

So even in a set of 4 patches, I would test patch 1, patch 1+2, patch 1+2+3 and finally patch 1+2+3+4 ?

Or test each on it’s own?

The former would be enough I think. The latter would discourage breaking up patches into easier to review 'stories'.

I agree. In most cases there will be dependency between a series of patches where each one may depend on previous patches in the series. This would leave the developer no choice but to lump the whole thing together as Paul pointed out.

Ok, if everyone agrees, I can just modify my CI system to automatically break the a series in these steps and run them this way (and have an email reply sent for each of these combination, so a reply to 1/4 with result of just patch 1, a reply to 2/4 with result of 1+2, reply to 3/4 with 1+2+3 and reply to 4/4 with
result of the whole series.

Or is this borderline to spamming? (i.e. if someone sends a series of 40, then there will be 40 replies)

Agreements? Or better suggestions?

I'd say one summary email is probably better. If all patches pass then that is all we need to know. If a patch fails an email is sent for that specific patch, and I assume the test stops there, right?

--Jafar

Also, if we decide for me to automatically commit it to some “proposed” (or whatever the name is)
branch, then I would only commit it there if every test is successful?

- Martin

If you want me to try this, then suggest something (i.e. name of accumulating branch?) and I can give it a try.

'proposed'?

regards,