On Wed, 15 Jun 2016, Lou Berger wrote:

IMO we really need to get to a point where we have an active development
'mainline' with CI and nightly regression.  Every project I've worked on
since the 90s has had this and I'm sure many of us have this at least
internally.  It dramatically reduces cost of integration, need for
rebasing, identification of problematic submissions, and other overhead
and bottlenecks....

If someone wants to setup an auto-accumulating 'outstanding' head, e.g. by automatically applying the latest things in patchwork, that could help.

The two fundamental aspects to work-flow are:

a) the states a patch-set / contribution goes through

b) the tools to track that state

For a, the state machine is something like:

 proposed -> filtering -> review -> testing -> integration

 {filtering,review,testing} --[issues]--> pushed_back

 pushed_back ---[cause addressed]-->proposed

For b, there's just mails on the list, private dirs with patch files and CVS working dirs (in the olden days), and lately patchwork. Or a bug tracker (ideally with good, but decoupled, tools for integration with the SCM). Or heads in the SCM.

Contributors could also try and raise the bar on making sure they have familiarised themselves with requirements and tried to address potential 'nits' in advance (e.g., commit messages, style, white-space, making sure contributions come in a series that tells a logical 'story' to aid reviewers, etc).

On 'rebasing', dealing with the backlog will reduce some of that. There are still issues though. In particular, "Design by coding behind closed doors", has the _biggest_ risk of having to re-do a lot of stuff later.

Exploring solutions with code is one thing, but I'd encourage people to discuss architecture issues and questions here - *before* doing lots of coding. If you find yourself having an arch. related discussion internally on something, then probably you should have it here. Alternatively, accept that later on other people may have other opinions, and accommodate them - which may require re-doing code.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma | p...@jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune: