I know what you mean about an under-powered engine. I had a 1.6ltr diesel
which was great on fuel, but give it the hills in North Yorkshire & it
didn't want to know!?

The 1.8ltr silver top is the most straight forward to fit & will easily
bolt up to the XR2 gearbox.
You will need the XR2 drive shafts, not sure if the hubs are
different though. Would be best upgrading the brakes, if you have the 1ltr
brakes.
The engine mount is easy enough to sort, as you say the info is on the QOC
website.

Have you any thoughts on fuelling?

Mark