Thanks for that guys, I'm not at home at the moment as I'm recovering from an operation, so I'm trying to gather information for when I get around to the job.
The MGF is a 2000 model and it has a mechanical speedo, not electronic. I know that because I removed the cable at both ends. The sensor wire runs from the EPAS ECU to the gearbox area, but I didn't actually get to trace it to the sensor. I think it looked like a Hall-Effect sensor picking up on something on the crownwheel. It certainly wasn't in-line with the speedo cable (as per Mk3 Fiesta), and the wire definitely goes to the gearbox, because I stripped all the EPAS wiring out of the loom as far as the engine-bay connectors. I guess that I need to get a Fiesta Sensor and put a meter on it. I should be able to count the number of pulses per revolution, then, as Jim says, use the turns per mile figure off the speedo to work out the pulses per mile. Then, when I get the gearbox out of the MG, work out how many pulses its sensor would deliver per crownwheel revolution and use tyre diameter to convert that to pulses per mile. I suspect that it doesn't really need to be perfectly accurate, as the amount of assistance will be tailored to the MG characteristics, but I assume that the speed at which it reduces the assistance will need to be similar, so +/-10% is my rough target. Will see in a couple of weeks. Dave. On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 6:12:54 PM UTC+1, Dave the Subbie wrote: > > Hi All, > > I'm in the middle of breaking my MGF and I've removed the Electrical Power > Assisted Steering (EPAS), with a view to fitting it to my 2+2. > > I know this has been done before, and I'm happy doing the work, but I > could do with the benefit of experience of anyone who has already done the > job. > > My main question is about the Road Speed Input. > > I know that there are adaptor boxes that generate a steady signal to fool > the car that it is moving, but I am sure we can do better than that. I want > the speed-related variable assistance to work properly. > > On the Mk3 Fiesta, there was a sensor fitted between the speedo cable and > the gearbox, which generated a signal for the Engine Management System. It > seems to be a no-brainer to use one of these for the Road Speed Input, > instead of the sensor that is fitted on the Diff on the MG. > > The only problem I foresee is that the number of pulses per mile generated > by the Fiesta sensor will be different to that generated on the MG. > > If necessary, I can design a simple multiplier circuit to sort that out, > but I need to know the pulses per mile in each case. > > Has anyone been down this route before and have anything to contribute > that might make the job easier? > > Otherwise, I will report back in due course. > > Thanks, > > Dave. > > > -- -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quantum Owners Group" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/quantumowners?hl=en IMPORTANT NOTE: All information presented herewith is provided on an "As Is" basis, without warranty or the implication thereof. Neither the Quantum Owners Club nor the individuals associated with the Quantum Owners Club or in the preparation of the above information shall have any liability to any person or entity with respect to liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the instructions contained within this or related message(s). --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quantum Owners Group" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
