Hi Bob,
It’s not a good idea to remove the plug leads with the engine running, the
voltage from the coil output will go far higher than it would with the plug
connected and it can damage the coil pack.
The best way to try to isolate the problem to a specific cylinder is to unplug
the injector instead, on the zetec 3 of these are quite easy to do and the 4th
can be done with a fiddle.

Coil pack problems normally end up with the Zetec running on 2 cylinders as
there are 2 double ended coils in the pack.
The Edis module can cause similar faults, running on 2 cylinders.

Once cold the engine probably won’t start if it’s running on 2.

Otherwise, try some new plugs, after that it starts getting a bit more tricky.
A compression test would be worth doing if you have a gauge.

I’m afraid i can’t remember if duty cycle gauge did anything, Matthew did most
of the mapping.

Hopefully your fault will stay, my ZVH turbo intermittently drops onto 2 or 3
cylinders but it’s very intermittent, last time i had it out it got all the way
to Stoneleigh (100+ miles) and almost all the way back before it occurred,
stayed the rest of the way home and the next day it was gone again.

Jim