  From: QM editor
  To: Quantum Owners Group
  Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 11:19 PM
  Subject: [Quantum Owners] Re: 2+2 distributor

  Thanks everyone for your replies. I suspected that the slightly different
part numbers might be due to slightly different internall arrangements!

  The car started spluttering while cold, i.e. after only a few miles.
Sometimes it would stop as though the handbrake had been violently applied. But
then would start again. Finally, on my way to a QOC committee meeting
(ironically!) it stopped and would not start. A few hours later after the
meeting the car started immediately and drove home, about 6 miles from where it
had stopped with no problem at all. This is when I decided to replace
everything, except the distributor itself. So the fault is most certainly not a
loose connection, faulty HT leads, faulty coil, faulty distributor cap, faulty
ignition module, faulty plugs or rotor arm as all were replaced with new. From
then on the car will not start at all and is still in the garage. There is a
spark at the plugs and from time to time while turning over the engine it will
fire, or backfire just the once. Both engineers who looked at the car agreed
that the problem is timing. I've tried rotating the distributor through the
full range from fully clockwise to fully anti-clockwise but that makes no
difference. I've got a  month to solve this - I WILL be at Stoneleigh in this
car!!!

  A possible next step is to put the originals back and see if it starts. If it
does I can replace each old item with the new one until it no longer starts.
That would tell me I have the wrong new part!

  The distributor is not the type with a long shaft and a gear at the end. It's
the other type, no shaft but 'dogs' (I think that's what they're called) to
connect to the engine, pic attached.

  Mike