From: QM editor
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 11:08 PM
To: Quantum Owners Group
Subject: [Quantum Owners] Re: 2+2 distributor

Update:

After the cutting out problem I bought all new parts: coil, all HT leads,
ignition module, distributor cap and rotor arm. Last week I called out a car
electrics man who said everything looked OK, maybe the cam belt had slipped. I
said in that case it would not have started ever again until it was put right!
A colleage of his (Ford trained mechanic!) turned up, removed the cam belt
cover and stated that everything was correct. The only thing left would appear
to be the distributor itself. He told me that some Fiestas of this vintage
needed a new distributor when less than two years old as this was a 'known
fault' in that car.

As mine has screws to hold the cap in place, not clips, that makes it a Lucas
not Bosch. I know there are weights and springs inside, but I am still trying
to find if the slightly different part numbers are all interchangeable or if
those numbers designate different types of spring and weight - if that is the
case only the correct type will work.

I tried the local Ford Main dealer and spoke with someone who has 30 years'
experience with Ford spares. His computer was unable to find my car due (I
think) to their database only going back to some point in time after my Fiesta
was built. Next step must be the Fiesta Owners Club. Surely they have people
who love XR2s and know where to source the parts that go wrong?

This is turning into a saga that might well end up in the next magazine once I
have all the useful info to help anyone else with this problem!

Mike