"They're seriously bug-ridden or have been heavily dumbed down in functionality."

OK, as someone who's been using and teaching pro apps since before there was an Apple authorized training program. As someone who got on board that program early on, and has done everything to keep pro apps going, I have to chime in with some honesty that Apple seems to refuse to face up to.

Yes, the pro apps are sorely behind the competition, and very, very bug ridden, and the bugs never go away, fact of life. Even if FCPX, which I am a huge eveagelist for, is falling very far behind after 3 whole years of opportunity lost, I have to agree. Apple has put "pro" on the back burner, degraded it to the consumer wannabe pro market. Just to state the blatantly obvious. I'm sure there are those who will demonize me, and I am about to launch a site in full support and training for Apple's Pro Apps. BUT, I am at this moment doing it with hesitation, and a backup plan for when Apple finally kills it all off. Apple itself refuses to offer any outreach at all for the sites that offer support for its own apps (Ripple having an exclusive is the exception). Not to mention all the pro apps are so bug ridden, as previously stated, that Windows or Linux is looking like a better, cheaper alternative for pros. The pro apps are seriously, fitfully, saturated with serious bugs. FCPX has such potential, but after three years, it is behind. QC is so far behind development it ain't funny. Motion is a joke at this point. Compressor, well, why do we have it again? What niche does it fill without any serious evolution? Apple, under Tim, is "gadgets", I must agree. Thank you Carl for stating the alarmingly obvious.
-B