On Saturday, 3 February 2018 18:58:14 UTC, Yuraeitha  wrote:
> On Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 5:06:20 AM UTC+1, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> >
> > On 2018-02-02 17:19, Yuraeitha wrote:
> > >
> > > It seems omeg who has been maintaining Qubes-Windows-Tools the last
> > > few years, has gone inactive
> >
> > He is instead working on other projects for ITL's corporate clients,
> > so "inactive" is not quite accurate.
> >
> > > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-installer-qubes-os-windows-tools
> > > and thus far, it looks like no one else has picked up the project.
> > >

> > Correct.
> >
> > > If it is not planned to be done any time soon, then that's alright,
> > > I can live with that. I'm already immensely grateful for everything
> > > the Qubes team has done. But it's not so easy for everyone though,
> > > some people are more heavily reliant on Windows than others for
> > > certain applications.
> > >
> > > This post is NOT a complaint or anything of the sorts, but instead
> > >  a question to settle expectations on the correct path, instead of
> > >  looking every day for a new update, which can be a lot of
> > > uncertainty or for some people even anxiety and frustrations, when
> > >  on Qubes 4 without a means to get Windows 7 installed. Essentially
> > >  people who need Windows and would love to get Qubes 4, are caught
> > >  in-between without any idea when or even if Windows 7 will be
> > > supported anytime in the near-term future.
> > >
> > > In other words, just knowing it won't be anytime soon is in a way
> > > also very good news, because it puts expectations in the right
> > > place instead of uncertainty. Any such news-update on what is going
> > > on with it and what to expect, would be appreciated.
> > >

> > As far as I know, Qubes Windows Tools continues to remain on
> > indefinite hold. We welcome anyone from the community with the
> > requisite skills to take over development (or just pitch in here and
> > there).
> >
> > > Also, I'm not entirely sure regarding the code itself, but it
> > > should be somewhat close to Qubes 4 in the current
> > > Qubes-Windows-Tools? For example the Qubes 3.2. Win7 restored from
> > >  backup in Qubes 4, seems to more or less work, somewhat smoothly,
> > >  but not perfect. If so, maybe someone else can help with bringing
> > >  Qubes-Windos-Tools to Qubes 4? Unfortunately I have no coding
> > > skills of this sort though, otherwise I'd give it a shot.
> > >

> > Sorry, I don't know.
> >
> > - --
> > Andrew David Wong (Axon)
> > Community Manager, Qubes OS
> > https://www.qubes-os.org

> Thanks Andrew, this was exactly what I was looking for, much appreciated.
>
> I'm gonna settle in for a plan B as listed below, although it looks really
> interesting if Elias will be looking into it. Maybe Marek or someone else
> with insight into the code can help a little bit to get started?
>
> But for the time being, I might try install Qubes 3.2. as a plan B to create
> some temporary unlicensed clean Win7 Qubes backup's, and see if I can
> transfer them to various of other Qubes 4 systems. This is mostly needed for
> [...]

Hi All,

Thanks for your help in the thread.
On R4, in order to get Win7SP1 64Bit Pro installed I did

qvm-create win7 --class StandaloneVM --property virt_mode=hvm --property
kernel="" --property memory=4096 --property maxmem=4096 --property debug=True
--label blue
qvm-volume extend win7:root 20g
qvm-features win7 video-model cirrus
qvm-start win7 --cdrom=dom0=loop1

I need now to go through the steps to make sure it fully boots unattended and
adapt it so Qubes-Windows-Tools provides as much as it can without changing
it...

After that, I'll give a go at the source code but I am not a windows dev...
so... I may dream a bit here.

I was not sure if others were at this stage, so hope it is not a duplicate.