On 5/21/19 6:24 PM, qtpie wrote:
Chris Laprise:
On 12/09/2018 10:38 AM, Chris Laprise wrote:
'Sparsebak'

Fast Time Machine-like disk image backups for Qubes OS and Linux LVM.

And of course, a link to the project :) ....

https://github.com/tasket/sparsebak

Have people been using Sparsebak? What are your experiences? I havent
been able to test it myself yet, And will it be submitted as a package
to Qubes?

I've been getting reports from some users who are testing sparsebak as alpha software. They report that its well behaved, and so far there has been no reported incident of data loss due to bugs. I myself have also been using it to backup several times a day and have relied on it to restore on more than one occasion.

It probably will be submitted for the community/contrib repository when it hits beta, which I hope will be fairly soon (my shortlist for beta has stopped growing and is getting shorter :) ).

General observations:

* Its fast and reliable.

* The archive format is still very simple.

* De-duplication is now working as an experimental feature.

* Still no direct handling of VM configs (copying qubes.xml to a trusted VM, or just backing up dom0 root can take care of that).

* Setting up encryption for the archive is the only hassle; I made a small shell script to mount and unmount a LUKS container in dom0 when necessary.

-

If you start using sparsebak now, I suggest taking the version from the latest 'new5' branch.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket