On Wednesday, 22 May 2019 01:03:44 UTC, qtpie  wrote:
> Chris Laprise:
> > On 12/09/2018 10:38 AM, Chris Laprise wrote:
> >> 'Sparsebak'
> >>
> >> Fast Time Machine-like disk image backups for Qubes OS and Linux LVM.
> >>

> > And of course, a link to the project :) ....
> >
> > https://github.com/tasket/sparsebak
> >

> Have people been using Sparsebak? What are your experiences? I havent
> been able to test it myself yet, And will it be submitted as a package
> to Qubes?

I've been using sparsebak since the announcement - here's my experience with it
so far:

Before using sparsebak I used custom rsync scripts for frequent incremental
backup of the data in my VMs' private volumes. It was quick and efficient and
despite the many obvious drawbacks of that approach it was a thousand times
better than using qvm-backup/-restore (those programs are so resource hungry
that I only ran them once or twice a year - the suggestion of leaving my laptop
on at night with a scheduled unattented backup task is a no go for me).

Sparsebak was a huge improvement over both qvm-backup/-restore and my custom
script approach. Despite the alpha (beta?) status I haven't run into a single
problem and Chris has been very diligent in replying to some usage questions I
had. Since the announcement he has improved the tool without breaking anything
and he also implemented deduplication which definitely saves disk space when
backuping cloned VMs (interestingly this also works pretty well cloned VMs that
have been heavily customized/updated compared to the original VM).

I currently backup 24 volumes (a mix of -root and -private volumes from linux
and windows VMs) with a total size of ~100GB, and I use my laptop without any
problem while sparsebak is running in the background (incremental backups are
fast anyway so even if it used a bit more resources it would be for a short
time).

Now, as Chris pointed out the only hassle is that you have to set up an
encrypted volume to encrypt your backups but it's a pretty easy thing to do.

So, I recommend you give the tool a try, maybe in addition to using qvm-backup
every now and then until you're confident it's working properly for your setup.