On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 02:30:34PM -0700, flux wrote:
> My thoughts were more along the lines of mitigative travel protection
> crossing borders and such. Like, you can boot to decryption but if the device
> is seized, no valid decryption can actually be performed. But as you say,
> depending on your situation that could be disadvantageous. I additionally
> just enjoy the idea of separating keys from locks regardless of the encrypted
> state of those keys.

FWIW, I support this feature request as well. Search the archives for
previous discussion early 2015 (Caspar Bowden indicated his support for
the feature, before he passed.)

Overreliance on a boot nuke feature would, as pointed out, be unwise.
But as a journalist, I can easily imagine a scenario where I am crossing
a border, am asked/ordered to decrypt my laptop, and I prefer to nuke
the hard drive rather than comply.

Sure, border officials might image the disk first, but how many laptop
users have such a feature?

I think of it like TLS. Arguing that X.509 certificate infrastructure is
broken and not (very) trustworthy doesn't mean we should insist Qubes
return to a non-HTTPS website. It's a layer of protection, one of many.

So I support this feature request, while noting the priority is low.

jmp