On 2016-07-22 16:39, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 07/22/2016 07:03 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:
>>
>> On 2016-07-22 08:15, TheFactory wrote:
>>> Another good use for this feature is that you can pre-program in some
>>> landmines to destroy the drive and overcome brute force. Since the
>>> LUKS password prompt on my install of 3.2 has little to no delay
>>> between password attempts one could use a mid range gpu to try millions
>>> of passwords. The drive itself can be copied dozens of times to
>>> increase the chances of getting the password.
>>>
>> You can configure the iteration time manually by following the
>> instructions here:
>>
>> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/encryption-config/
>>
>> Remember that the actual number of iterations depends on the speed of
>> your hardware. The cryptsetup default is one second (1000 milliseconds).
>>
>>> However if
>>>
>>> If you had a limit of 10 or 20 tries before drive wipe.
>>>
>>> And had a dozen or more fake passwords that would induce drive wipe.
>>>
>>> And had some sort of delay in each password attempt built
>>> in.(veracrypt takes forever to process your password input for
>>> instance)
>>>
>>> Using tpm ontop of this would also at least frustrate their attempts
>>> at mirroring the drive.
>>>
>>> You could be reasonably certian that even powerful attempts at getting
>>> the drive open will be hopeless. Though, you may get yourself in some
>>> physical trouble.
>>>
>>> I have wanted features like the above ones for some time.
>>>
>> As Andrew pointed out, offline brute forcing doesn't work this way.
>> Attackers wouldn't attempt to brute force your encrypted drive using your
>> hardware and software. They would just take a copy the ciphertext and
>> attempt to decrypt it with their own software on their own (much more
>> powerful) hardware. (However, the use of a TPM would make a difference
>> here, for the reason Andrew points out.)
>>
>> - --
>
> Although adding TPM support for LUKS is desirable, the suggested 'LUKS
> nuke' feature is separate and suffers from a poor understanding of the
> threat model.

There is more than one possible threat model. Earlier in this thread, I argued
that there are threat models in which the "nuke option" can make sense.

> As you point out, the main use case is when the user wants to initiate
> destruction of the encrypted volume before it falls into the wrong hands.
> But there is no need to patch LUKS to accomplish this, and using only
> passphrases as the trigger mechanism is probably too cumbersome in some
> situations anyway.
>
> This could be scripted with better results and flexibility for the end
> user, obviating any need to meddle with LUKS code.

We certainly welcome patches for this, though it sounds like it would be a
good idea to discuss the details of the implementation first.

> If there is already an issue# for a 'panic button' type of feature request,
> I'd suggest linking this thread to it.

As linked earlier in this thread, here is the cryptsetup-specific issue:

There is currently no separate "panic button" feature request aside from this
one. That would be a different feature, for the reasons you point out.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org