On 2016-07-25 01:27, 0'192348'019438'0194328'0914328'0931 wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> perhaps a fast option will be a strong encrypted disk and the nuke feature
> to destroy the password

I think you mean wipe the LUKS header.

> or better password-expansion (a hash which is longer than the password)...

Are you referring to a key derivation function (KDF)? That's a different matter.

> - full disk encryption - double full disk encryption with two independent
> passwords and independent encryption schemes - customization of keyword
> length - customization of the cipher - no storage of passwords only of the
> password-expansion (which don't shorten the password like the standard
> hash, which makes the original password longer, so if you steal the disk
> you get some extra effort to crack the code) - customization of the wrong
> tries, e.g. 10 times and than the "password-hashes" get wiped out (this
> avoids a simple brute forward attack) - long key setup-time (of ca. 0.5
> seconds), will slow down sophisticated brute forward attacks
>
> In the end of the day the security of the password management, the
> security of one or the other cipher and the effectiveness of the wiping
> will safe your information.

Not sure how all this is relevant to the subject of this thread.

> Pro: It will be very fast (approx. under 3 seconds)

Wiping the LUKS header would be fast, yes.

> Cons: Not water-proof against Quantum Computer Attacks (you will need more
> modern ciphers)

As far as we know, AES-256 will remain resistant to post-quantum attacks.
Effective key length will be halved, so AES-256 should be roughly as strong as
pre-quantum AES-128, but that's still pretty secure.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org