On 2016-07-28 18:42, epicd...@gmail.com wrote:
> A fileVM would be a mountable filesystem that 2 or more AppVMs can share.
>
> A fileVM could be a normal partition like MSDOS/FAT32, an encrypted
> filesystem, or even a distributed or cloud filesystem.
>
> There are numerous uses for this, for example, installing Dropbox on a
> Linux AppVM and sharing the dropbox folder with a Windows AppVM that has
> Microsoft Office installed so you can edit docx files. You would create one
> DOS/FAT32 partition that would be attached to both the Linux and Windows
> AppVM. Currently you would have to install dropbox on both the Windows and
> Linux AppVMs doubling storage requirements.
>
> As long as the two AppVMs share the same risk tolerance there doesn't seem
> to be any reason not to allow this in my mind?
>
> The current system of having to manually transfer individual files from
> one AppVM to another is a productivity bottleneck and to many makes
> QubesOS undesirable as a primary OS.
>
> I understand there are many reasons to enforce the manual transfer in
> certain AppVM domains depending upon their nature, and this should be the
> default, but we also need a way to intelligently share large amounts of
> files between AppVMs in the same security domain.

If there's such a great need to be constantly transferring files back and
forth between two or more domains, then that suggests that they shouldn't
actually be separate security domains in the first place, doesn't it?

An exception to this would be VMs that are separate VMs not because they are
distinct security domains, but for other reasons. For example, you have a
Windows domain and a Linux domain, and you have to test things using the same
files in both VMs. You regard them as a single security domain, but of course
they must exist as separate VMs.

So, I can see this as being useful for the latter type of purpose. However,
that's a more advanced usage of Qubes aimed not at regular users but perhaps
as developers.

Just a thought.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)