On Sunday, 31 July 2016 10:11:18 UTC+10, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)  wrote:
> On 07/30/2016 12:12 AM, arthur.summers.... wrote:
> > I agree with the idea of having an option for a storage VM, but my
> > agreement goes a little deeper (and forks a bit). I know that the primary
> > goal of Qubes is security, but there are a lot of different use cases for
> > it. I use it because I like the compartmentalization provided by VMs.
> > Security is almost a secondary for me - I wanted a bare-metal client
> > hypervisor. Since XenClient no longer exists and no other offerings are
> > well maintained, I landed on Qubes. For my purposes, sharing storage would
> > be great, but baking it in DOES defeat the primary goals of the project.
>
> I'm not necessarily sure that conclusion is foregone.  Perhaps it's a
> good idea to provide a vchan-backed FUSE file system that allows a VM to
> "mount" the subdirectory of another VM.  This would require a few things
> UX-wise, but it's totally doable otherwise.  Of course, the mounting VM
> would need to trust the mounted VM, but it'd be quite good otherwise.
>
> Failing that, a mechanism to provide networking between VMs, such that a
> VM can serve another VM via SSH or CIFS, would be okay.  Sometimes I
> think that the networking model in Qubes is far too restrictive.
>
> --
>     Rudd-O
>     http://rudd-o.com/

I too am a little unsure of the best practice for accessing my cryfs encrypted
google drive (insync) folders.

Currently I sync to a secondary drive that I can just mount in whatever VM I
need. But there always seems to be that risk of sharing one drive across
multiple VMs at different times.

Is there a clear advantage (security or convenience) in just setting up a
CloudVM and using network sharing to access it from the other VMs, vs just
mounting the drive on one VM at a time?

Ben