On 2017-05-07 11:33, nickl...@kulinacs.com wrote:
> On May 7, 2017 10:39:22 AM CDT, Andrew David Wong
> <a...@qubes-os.org> wrote: On 2017-05-07 10:32,

> Why not just back up the entire vault with qvm-backup?
>

> Git has less storage overhead (as you're backing up a bunch of text
> files, not an entire VM), allows proper versioning, so it is
> trivial to see your passwords at a point in time, and can be used
> cross platform if you chose to keep your GPG key on another
> system.

I prefer the security of qvm-backup[-restore], since it allows me to
keep the vault and its contents permanently offline. The entire VM is
BZIP compressed, AES-256 encrypted, and HMAC-SHA512 authenticated. The
integrity verification, authentication, and decryption all happen at
the dom0 level. The backup is tiny, so the storage overhead is
inconsequential, and there's no need to worry about file-level
metadata leakage or the backup file itself being used as an attack
vector. KeePassX has sufficient built-in versioning for me, and it's
easy enough to sync Qubes backups across machines with simple scripts.

With this setup, considerations like "managing fewer secrets" seem out
of place. I only have to manage three secrets:

1. LUKS passphrase
2. Backup passphrase
3. Screen locker passphrase

Managing these three allows me to have an arbitrary number of
additional secrets in VMs without having to remember anything else. I
can't replace 1, 2, or 3 with my PGP key(s), because my PGP key(s) are
inside my PGP VM, which I can't access except via 1, 2, or 3. But
that's by design. I wouldn't want to make that replacement even if I
could, since I wouldn't want an attacker who gains access to my (one
of my) PGP (sub)key(s) to have access equivalent to 1, 2, or 3. I also
wouldn't want to use my (import) PGP keys on any non-Qubes systems,
since that would likely defeat the purpose of protecting them via
Split GPG.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS