On 2017-05-07 12:23, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> On 2017-05-07 11:33, nickl...@kulinacs.com wrote:
>> On May 7, 2017 10:39:22 AM CDT, Andrew David Wong
>> <a...@qubes-os.org> wrote: On 2017-05-07 10:32,

>> Why not just back up the entire vault with qvm-backup?
>

>> Git has less storage overhead (as you're backing up a bunch of text
>> files, not an entire VM), allows proper versioning, so it is
>> trivial to see your passwords at a point in time, and can be used
>> cross platform if you chose to keep your GPG key on another
>> system.
>

> I prefer the security of qvm-backup[-restore], since it allows me to
> keep the vault and its contents permanently offline. The entire VM is
> BZIP compressed, AES-256 encrypted, and HMAC-SHA512 authenticated. The
> integrity verification, authentication, and decryption all happen at
> the dom0 level. The backup is tiny, so the storage overhead is
> inconsequential, and there's no need to worry about file-level
> metadata leakage or the backup file itself being used as an attack
> vector. KeePassX has sufficient built-in versioning for me, and it's
> easy enough to sync Qubes backups across machines with simple scripts.
>
> With this setup, considerations like "managing fewer secrets" seem out
> of place. I only have to manage three secrets:
>
> 1. LUKS passphrase
> 2. Backup passphrase
> 3. Screen locker passphrase

I should add that using the same passphrase for (some subset of) 1, 2,
and 3 would arguably be a very reasonable trade-off between security and
convenience for most users (i.e., a likely negligible drop in security
for a significant gain in the form of having to remember fewer things).

> Managing these three allows me to have an arbitrary number of
> additional secrets in VMs without having to remember anything else. I
> can't replace 1, 2, or 3 with my PGP key(s), because my PGP key(s) are
> inside my PGP VM, which I can't access except via 1, 2, or 3. But
> that's by design. I wouldn't want to make that replacement even if I
> could, since I wouldn't want an attacker who gains access to my (one
> of my) PGP (sub)key(s) to have access equivalent to 1, 2, or 3. I also
> wouldn't want to use my (import) PGP keys on any non-Qubes systems,
> since that would likely defeat the purpose of protecting them via
> Split GPG.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS