On 2017-05-14 03:51, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 02:55:12PM -0500, Andrew David Wong wrote:
>>> you really dont protect your gpg key with a passphrase??
>> See: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/split-gpg/
>
> oh wow :(
>
>> Why is that a problem? It's only visible in dom0. If an attacker is in
>> dom0, it's already game over.
>
> no, the world is not black and white.
>
> If an attacker steals your computer while it's unlocked, all your gpg
> encrypted stuff is wide open.
>
> If an attacker steals my computer while it's unlocked, my gpg encrypted
> stuff is still locked. Surely the attacker can now install as many backdoors
> as
> they want, but as long as I don't type my gpg passphrase into that computer
> anymore, it should be pretty safe.

You're conflating two distinct problems:

(1) Passphrases I've typed in dom0 are available in cleartext in
    dom0.
(2) Data-at-rest is not encrypted while Qubes is booted and the screen
    is unlocked.

We could solve (1) without solving (2). If we did that, it would solve
the `ps` + qvm-backup problem (the first problem you mentioned), since
my backup would be encrypted, and the thief wouldn't have access to the
backup decryption passphrase.

(2) is the second problem you mentioned. Solving (2) is distinct from
solving (1), but in order for the solution to (2) to be satisfactory, we
also have to solve (1) (or make sure no similar problem arises for
per-VM encryption), since otherwise my data-at-rest passphrase could be
obtained via (1).

I think the right approach to (2) in Qubes is per-VM encryption [1]
(probably with LUKS instead of GPG, and certainly not relying on public
key crypto, though hopefully we're all already in agreement on the
latter point). If I'm in an untrusted physical environment, I should be
able to work with less sensitive VMs without decrypting sensitive VMs,
and if someone steals my unlocked laptop, they shouldn't be able to gain
access to the encrypted sensitive VMs. That's the goal, anyway.

[1] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1293

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS