I don't do hotplugging to pfSense. I've created separate Fedora based netvms
with bridges named LAN and DMZ and connected pfSense to those at start. Then
other VMs can use those netvms and connect either to a bridge or do the usual
Qubes routing. Physycal NIC's can be added to tjose vms and bridges. In case of
routing one needs to masquerade selectively on the bridge interface (qubes does
masquerading on all interfaces except lo and vif+ by default). In case of
bridging, vm's config file has to invoke vif-bridge script, provide source
bridge name and vm's ip address. Then the script will do the rest. qvm-start
--custom-config=...

This may be not optimal as bridges consume cpu cycles and irq processing. On
the other hand Qubes currently doesn't support HVM netvms so until v4.0 that's
the only solution I see. I'll keep playing with it but I suspect virtualised
pfSense is not a good idea for real life use.