Not sure why this is working now when it didn't before, but I changed the boot
mode to uefi+legacy and now I get a graphical Qubes installer menu booted from
USB DVD. It still dumps to grub prompt when trying to boot from USB stick tho.

I'm pretty sure this is a legacy booted installation process. It fails to start
X, and falls back to text mode. I began to run thru the installation steps but
it fails to partition the disk. It doesn't offer anything like the typical
installation options to pick a device and then a partition scheme. I notice it
complains about not having keys for the SSD device, which is probably why
partitioning fails. Could be why X won't start as well.

I am going to go back and restore the factory keys (they're all deleted now)
and turn secure boot back off after doing so, then seeing if that will change
things.