On Saturday, June 17, 2017 at 10:12:37 PM UTC-4, motech man wrote:
> BTW, here is one of the many articles I've read about UEFI published by the
> Linux Foundation:
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/sites/lfcorp/files/lf_uefi_secure_boot_open_platforms.pdf
>

> It set me straight regarding exactly how Secure Boot was intended to function
> and dispelled my perspective it was Microsoft who tainted it's design to make
> it difficult to boot alternate Op Systems.
>
> I'll grant you that achieving a truly secure boot process is a more
> complicated process than previous approaches, but the blame for most
> difficulties lies more with BIOS vendors than Microsoft, their strong-arm
> tactics not withstanding.
>
> Another factor is lack of a certification process or testing procedures which
> I mentioned above.
>
> Certification can be a bad thing as well, as that could become a point of
> control that limits practical use only to those who can pay a fee. If the fee
> is too high it would be exclusionary and possibly prohibitive to smaller open
> source projects.
>
> I hope that the next release of Qubes will endeavor to fully utilize Secure
> Boot and thus improve it's integrity and ease installation. Of course given
> the variability of UEFI implementations it may prove to be too exclusionary
> to certain hardware manufacturers.
>
> I don't see Qubes as overly concerned about that however, as even without
> Secure Boot it has rather specific hardware requirements as it is.

Richard Stallman admits now that secure boot is ok to use for security
purposes, and has for some time now,  because its "failed its intended
purpose"...

So I still dont' see why even fsf people hesitant about it.  Maybe microsoft
never even had no intended purposes who knows, who cares.  I still dont' trust
them cause of how they pushed and using win10.   But I do hope also Qubes use
secure boot in the future.  To me its too silly not to.

And I keep saying it ont he forums.  But unless you just want Qubes for
experimentation of cool tech.  Dual booting even with detachable hdd's
undermines qubes security by alot imo.