Qubes doesn't support secure boot so I would leave it off.   I would look into
bios settings for hdd also, sounds as if its not being recognized by the
installer.  Also usb settings.   Like Put external boot on, check controller
settings, put hdd in ahci mode, boot order, anything else. Falling back to text
mode might be a graphics driver problem. You probably need a newer kernel.

The kabylake systems seems not to be that well supported on linux yet.  Maybe
someone who has had success with one can help.