On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 7:38:59 PM UTC-4, Francesco wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Eric Duncan <edunc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 1:27:19 PM UTC-4, cooloutac wrote:
>

> > upgrading to the latest release from previous version didn't go well for
> > me. There are instructions on how to do so and maybe I did something wrong.
> >  But I had to reinstall fresh and restore backups which went smooth.
>

> > Most Qubes users are paranoids and probably wipe their drive occasionally
> > anyways.
>

> > I wouldn't consider Qubes a rolling release Its one big huge version
> > update. Next Qubes version I think will be 4.0.
>

> Yeah, I don't plan to upgrade.  This will be another clean install.
>

> That's what I am trying to get.. 4.0, or the latest "tip" of Qubes that
> everyone is using for development and submitting updated packages for.
>

> Would I get "4.0" from just a fresh install, and then enabling the
> Testing/SecurityTesting repos and upgrading?
>

> Or, is Qubes not setup to roll the latest from a tip?  But instead, there are
> separate branches for each release (3.1, 3.2, 4.0, etc) and a "Testing"
> branch for each one of them?
>

> That's kind of how Kali used to do it (I think) which annoyed some of us that
> wanted to contribute, but our contributions got lost in the older versions or
> wasn't merged to the latest branches, etc.  Then Kali switched to Rolling
> releases, with a single Tip/Testing branch - and snapshots (with branches)
> for official releases.
>

> Ps: Heh, paranoids - wiping often.  I did that a lot w/Windows, mostly cause
> of instability after 6mos.
>

> Rolling releases work well with more mature systems like Arch. But each new
> major version of Qubes included important architectural changes. So what
> could be passed easily to the next was only the backup of applVMs.
>

> Also these major changes were mostly motivated by security reasons. So why
> keep something that was generated in a less secure environment?
>
> Best
>

> --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/0b19516a-f1cb-490c-bbdf-e369ea769355%40googlegroups.com.

I just wiped my drive and reinstalled qubes,  is pretty effortless and quick on
an i5 and ssd.   backing up 1 or 2 dozen vms.  one with lots of pics and
videos, encrypted drive,  then installing and restoring it less then an hour
for sure.  felt like 30-40 mins but it actually was not a whole of gigs. the vm
with the media files has the most everything total 60 gb maybe on usb3.

   I guess just use testing or unstable repos if you want to have the latest
for now.   I have no idea where to get the beta for 4.0 if thats what you're
asking.