On 12/08/2017 05:03 AM, Yethal wrote:

W dniu piątek, 8 grudnia 2017 09:07:56 UTC+1 użytkownik tai...@gmx.com napisał:
On 12/08/2017 02:43 AM, Yethal wrote:

W dniu czwartek, 7 grudnia 2017 21:23:18 UTC+1 użytkownik Wael Nasreddine
napisał:
Hello,

I'm looking to build a new Desktop specifically for Qubes OS, so my most
important requirement is compatibility. I currently have 64GB (4 x 16GB)
288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3400 (PC4 27200)[0] that I'd like to use, and I'm
looking for a recommendation for the motherboard and CPU. Preferably a 6+ cores
CPU. What do you guys use?

I'm aware of the HCL page, but I'm mostly interested in knowing your personal
experience with your current hardware.

[0]: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232264
Zero issues with i7-6800K on an AsRock X99 board. Has PS/2 port, disabling
Management Engine is possible via built in flashing tool, all hardware sensors
were detected and it supports PCI-E bifurcation alongside SR-IOV. I'm running
Mini-itx version which may be unsuitable for your needs as it only takes 32GB
of ram but it would be pretty safe to assume that full-size AsRock X99
motherboards would also be fully compatible with Qubes.
That isn't disabling ME, nor ME cleaner - you can NOT disable ME - it is
impossible even the HAP tool doesn't do so.

Your only hope is to buy hardware without it such as the new enough to
be useful Socket G34 and C32 AMD PRE-PSP Systems, boards KGPE-D16 and
KCMA-D8 have libre firmware available and can play video games in a VM
via IOMMU-GFX, they also have dual onboard separate USB controllers (you
can use the second via a breakout bracket)
I ran me_cleaner with -s flag on it (setting HAP bit to 1) which supposedly
halts ME execution after hardware init is finished.

Main issue with Talos2 isn't the fact that it's not a well known product, the
main issue is that the most basic version, with no RAM, no SSD and no GPU costs
$4,750 which makes it look as if privacy was the privilege of the rich.
Like I have said before, that is the standard price for server hardware in its performance class - it is simply the cost of production similarly as to how a high end Intel/AMD CPU costs thousands on its own.

Like any POWER system its target market is the corporate world. (for now)

You can always get a KCMA-D8 for $250, you'd have open source firmware both for the board and the BMC.