On 12/26/2017 03:25 PM, 'Tom Zander' via qubes-users wrote:>>
"Personally, I' d avoid thunderbird and anything from mozilla, but thats
>> just me."
>> Do they have a bad track record(I planned on researching my apps later
>> =p).
>
> Just last month they added an invisible plugin in their binary builds which
> was programmed to not show up in the 'add-on' screen and had the ability to
> alter page content.
> Someone didn't actually program it well enough and the whole thing got
> leaked and after a lot of heat, a lot of bad press they eventually
> apologised.
>
> I'm more concerned that they tried then how they failed.
> It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
>
> Google for "looking glass" and "mozilla" if you want to know more.

(disclaimer: I once was an intern for Mozilla, though I do not have any
bond with Mozilla right now)

tl;dr: please do google for “looking glass” and “mozilla”

Erhm. This is a *really* biased way of putting things. They did push an
(opt-out) study through the (opt-out, iirc) studies subsystem, that did
have the ability to alter page content.

That said, the add-on was not programmed to not show up in the ‘add-on’
screen (that I know of), it was just a regular opt-out shield study.

Now, the handling of this particular instance has indeed been stupid:
this study was actually no study, but a promotional event organized with
the Mr. Robot series (which explains the ability to alter page content,
though I'm obviously not saying anyone wanted it), and in addition to
this it appeared with the suspicious “My reality is different than
yours” message, which made some users think they had been infected by
some virus.

So I'm not saying this was not a particularly stupid action and that
they did not end up with woefully bad press (especially damaging given
they had just outed Firefox 57 and its long-awaited changes), but it's
nowhere near as bad as what you imply, ie. that they would already have
willingly pushed a malicious add-on.