@ cybe...@national.shitposting.agency
Glad it worked out for you:)

@Tom Zander

On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 12:18:11 PM UTC+1, Tom Zander wrote:
> On Saturday, 10 February 2018 09:05:51 CET Yuraeitha wrote:
> > On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 6:51:47 AM UTC+1,
> cybe...@national.shitposting.agency wrote:
> > > I have a usb drive attached to sys-usb, lets say its mounted at /mnt on
> > > sys-usb and im trying to backup a vm named MyVm from dom0 the command:
> > >
> > > sudo qvm-backup sys-usb:/mnt MyVm
> > >
> > > returns the error:
> > >
> > > The backup directory does not exist
> > >
> > > how can i make a backup to USB when USB devices are not exposed to dom0?
> >
> > and yes, this works for USB too. Just ensure the USB is mounted inside
> > your AppVM, and then just throw the path to your USB which it is mounted
> > on :-)
>
> I just wanted to point out that the GUI backup app has exactly the same
> problem.
> I tried to make a backup a coupele of days ago. The GUI tool correctly
> notices I have a sys-usb and I used it to browse to the directory there to
> do the backup. All that worked fine.
>
> Until I pressed the final button to start the backup, it just failed saying
> it could not find the directory...
>
> I ended up giving up on doing a backup.
> --
> Tom Zander
> Blog: https://zander.github.io
> Vlog: https://vimeo.com/channels/tomscryptochannel

Yeah, it looks like the GUI Qubes-Backup and Qubes-Backup-Restore are broken,
I've had similar issues, and seen others having too when using GUI. But it's
only the GUI that's broken by the looks of it, it works perfectly fine in
terminal in my experience. I've done multiple of backups back and forth on
Qubes 4 already, I've yet to run into any problem when using the terminal
approach, while the GUI approach always gives problems. So until the GUI is
fixed, it's probably best to stick to the terminal for backup purposes.

I was a bit grumpy too after being forced to use the terminal for backup,
especially as I was in a hurry the first time and it was just one big "meh".
But it's not that bad now that I got used to it, it's pretty straight forward
and easy to do. If you memorize the backup approaches, and use the profiles
too, then it can actually be even easier than the GUI. In hindsight, that kind
of surprised me.

It's also really nice to have this down if we're planning to use the adminVM
features one day, to remotely backup Qubes from the intranet or internet. I
still don't feel comfortable having the adminVM in dom0 exposed to the internet
though, but I guess it might change if learning more about how it works,
remains to be seen I guess.