On Monday, 26 February 2018 23:17:41 UTC, Thorsten Schierer  wrote:
> Ok, I set up 2 new VMs (sys-net and
> sys-firewall) in case something went wrong during the setup, but the
> result was the same as before.
>
> Not sure how to enable the
> clocksync service in sys-net (fedora-26 template) but the date/time
> settings are correct, so I assume it already is syncing correctly.

Yes probably. For reference, to check (or enable):
- go to start menu/System Tools/Qube Manager
- right click sys-net/Qube Settings/Services tab
- clocksync should be in the list and ticked if not type clocksync and click on
+
- I think a full reboot is required. There are probably ways to avoid it...

> But I did some more research and this is what I found out so far is:
>
> sys-net itself has a working internet connection (I can do "ping
> www.google.com"
> in a terminal and everything is fine).
> Also other VMs that use sys-net directly as netVM can access the internet
> (i.e. ping a server etc.).
> The only exception is sys-firewall, in which a ping just fails due to no
> connection.
>
> When sys-firewall starts up, a new vif is created inside sys-net (which was
> expected), but there is no route created.
> When
>  I tried to create a new route it said "Network is down". So it did
> "ifconfig vif8.0 up" and afterwards added a new route with:
>
> "sudo ip route add 10.137.0.15 dev vif8.0 metric 32752"
>

> "route -v" displays:
> 10.137.0.15   0.0.0.0   255.255.255.255   UH   32752   0   0   vif8.0

I am confused, did you do this in sys-net or sys-firewall. Because sys-net
would have a default route and a route for your Lan. You may have tripped the
info which is fine.

my routing on sys-net looks like this:
-bash-4.4# netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 ens5
10.137.0.15      0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0 vif8.0
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 ens5

You should not have needed to ifconfig vifX up. This is something that will
need to be looked at later.

on sys-firewall, you are probably going to need to ifconfig eth0 up and you
should have something like this:
-bash-4.4# netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
0.0.0.0         10.137.0.14      0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth0
10.137.0.14      0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0 eth0

if .14 is the ip of sys-net (ifconfig | grep -i ast)

from sys-firewall, try ping 8.8.8.8 (Google dns) or something else to remove
dns resolution from the picture

also arp -an
to check you have connectivity to sys-net and arp resolution