> Can you also try doing this against the template you're using for your
> sys-firewall?
>
> qvm-features fedora-26-minimal qubes-firewall 1

I did this and restarted everything, no difference.

> Yes probably. For reference, to check (or enable):
> - go to start menu/System Tools/Qube Manager
> - right click sys-net/Qube Settings/Services tab
> - clocksync should be in the list and ticked if not type clocksync and click
> on +
> - I think a full reboot is required. There are probably ways to avoid it...

clocksync is checked.

> I am confused, did you do this in sys-net or sys-firewall. Because sys-net
> would have a default route and a route for your Lan. You may have tripped the
> info which is fine.

In fact I left the default routes away and just focused on the missing one.
When I start sys-firewall a new network interface is added (vifx.0) where x is
a number.
"ifconfig -a" displays:

vif3.0: flags=4098<BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
(and also 2 default interfaces: enp0s0 and lo, which are both UP and RUNNING)

I noticed here that "UP" / "RUNNING" is missing for the vif, therefore I have
to "up" it myself.
This might be part of the problem, since it has to be running in order to add a
new route (which should be done automatically).
So "route" in sys-net displays only the default routes:

Destination     Gateway     Genmask     Flags     Metric     Ref     Use
Iface
default     gateway     0.0.0.0     UG     100     0     0     enp0s0
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0     255.255.255.0     U     100     0     0    enp0s0

So if I add the route myself it additionally displays:

10.137.0.6     0.0.0.0     255.255.255.255     U     100     0     0    vif3.0

So far so good, the values in sys-net are looking "ok" to me now. Or am I
missing something?

> on sys-firewall, you are probably going to need to ifconfig eth0 up and you
> should have something like this:
> -bash-4.4# netstat -nr
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
> 0.0.0.0         10.137.0.14      0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth0
> 10.137.0.14      0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0
> eth0

On sys-firewall eth0 and lo are UP and RUNNING, but "route" takes around 20
seconds to finish and displays:

Destination     Gateway     Genmask     Flags     Metric     Ref     Use
Iface
default     gateway     0.0.0.0     UG     0     0     0     eth0
gateway     0.0.0.0     255.255.255.255     UH     0     0     0    eth0

The long waiting time before "route" finishes makes me wonder...

I deleted the default routes and recreated them. I also restarted the eth0
interface.

When I try to ping 8.8.8.8 from sys-firewall I get:

>From 10.137.0.6 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
>From 10.137.0.6 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable

I also switched the templates of sys-net and sys-firewall to debian-9, but the
result is the same (vif down in sys-net, no route for vif).

The more I try to fix this, I get a feeling that the root of the problem lies
inside sys-net.
It seems like the vif in sys-net does not get "up", which breaks the
setup/initialization script (or maybe it breaks earlier, I don't know).

If I knew, which steps have to be done to set up network between a VM,
sys-firewall and sys-net correctly, I could try to pinpoint the problem better.
What happens exactly behind the scenes when sys-firewall starts and uses
sys-net as netVM?
Also I was thinking if iptables might be involved here?!