On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 8:11:21 PM UTC-5, ad...@adammccarthy.co.uk
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I currently run Qubes OS on an XPS 13 from 2015 with an i5-6200U, 8GB
> RAM, slow NVMe. It can't really handle Qubes OS - it's quite laggy and
> struggles to play video on the 4K screen. The CPU and RAM are normally
> maxed with a couple of VMs running, even without video.
>
> I'm going to buy a new laptop with a higher spec which should hopefully
> handle things well. The following laptops are my final five contenders.
> They all have a discrete GPU, which I'm hoping to passthrough to a VM
> for playing streaming video (h264/h265/vp9 codecs). Do I have this right
> that it would be most efficient to use the Intel GPU in dom0 and the
> discrete GPU in the VM? I also do a lot of scientific computing, so it's
> useful to offload some computation to a GPU via CUDA.
>
> I get the impression from the HCL that they should all work fine as long
> as I replace any non-Intel wifi m.2 sticks with an Intel 8265. Do you
> have any thoughts on whether one would be more appropriate than another?
>
> Dell XPS 15 9560 (2017)
> Intel i7-7700HQ Quad Core
> 32GB RAM
> 512GB M.2 NVMe
> Intel + NVIDIA GTX 1050
>
> Dell XPS 15 2018
> Intel i7-8705G Quad Core
> 32GB RAM
> 512GB M.2 NVMe
> Intel + Radeon RX Vega M GL
>
> Dell Precision 5520
> Intel Xeon E3-1505M v6 Quad Core
> 32GB RAM
> 512GB M.2 NVMe
> Intel + Nvidia Quadro M1200
>
> Lenovo P51
> Intel Xeon E3-1505M v6 Quad Core
> 32GB RAM
> 512GB M.2 NVMe
> Intel + NVIDIA Quadro M2200
>
> Razer Blade
> Intel i7-7700HQ Quad Core
> 16GB RAM
> 512GB M.2 NVMe
> Intel + NVIDIA GTX 1060
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

The Razer Blade and the XPS/Precision both have hellish thermal throttling
issues. I can't imagine putting a hotter CPU in the 15 with the same cooling
will end well.

I have the P51 and the issues around it are regarding the thermal paste, if you
do a repaste with kryonaut or similar you'll keep a lower avg temp.